How should I prepare for a Botox treatment?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
As for any surgical procedure, prior to a Botox treatment you should not use drugs that can increase bruising. You should not have Botox if you are pregnant or if you have any neuromuscular disease, such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS -- Lou Gehrig's disease), Lambert-Eaton syndrome, or myasthenia gravis.

Prepare yourself for an assault with six to 30 needle sticks. To do this, you may want to use a cream that numbs the skin. Several are available. I like EMLA cream, which is a mixture of the anesthetics lidocaine and prilocaine. Apply the cream thickly, like cream cheese, onto the skin. Do not let it dry out. To achieve this, you can cover the cream with Saran wrap. (You will look quite attractive when doing this.) The cream must be applied one hour prior to your procedure in order for it to work. Many of my patients come into the office and have my nurse apply the cream; they then sit alone and read until their procedure.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...
Can Botox affect my emotional reactions?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Scientists believe that facial expressions may influence our emotions, meaning that those whose face...
Does teriflunomide have any side effects?
Teriflunomide stays active in a person's body for several days after it is taken and can stay in the...
What are the side effects of baclofen?
Side effects may include drowsiness, dizziness, general weakness, and fatigue. Baclofen can make it ...