How do the different brands of hyaluronic acid injections compare?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
There are currently several Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved injectable preparations of hyaluronic acid: Synvisc, Hyalgan, Supartz, Orthovisc, and Euflexxa. Some are given as a series of five injections; others require only three. Whether or not you receive benefit from the first injection, the entire series is typically given because the effect can be cumulative.

Synvisc was the first hyaluronic acid preparation available in the United States, and many physicians use it or the next formulation that was approved, Hyalgan. The disadvantage of Synvisc is a slightly increased possibility of creating a reactive flare. None of the hyaluronic acid preparations has been proven superior to the others.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How does baclofen interact with other medications?
If you are using azelastine nasal spray, paraldehyde, orphenadrine, or thalidomide, baclofen can lea...
What should I know before taking teriflunomide?
Your doctor will need to do liver function tests and check your blood pressure before you start trea...
Can Botox affect my emotional reactions?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Scientists believe that facial expressions may influence our emotions, meaning that those whose face...
What should I know about leflunomide before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests, check your liver function and blood pressure, and give you ...