How can Aubagio (teriflunomide) help people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?

The oral immune modulator teriflunomide provided a 31% relative risk reduction in annualized relapse rate compared with placebo with no major safety concerns in a phase III trial called TEMSO.

Teriflunomide joins the growing list of cell cycle ­inhibiting drugs in the pipeline for multiple sclerosis (MS) treatment. The drug inhibits replication and function of activated T cells, but has no effect on resting T cells.

The 1088 participants in the TEMSO trial had mild disability with an Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score of 5 or less, with at least one relapse over the previous year or two relapses over the previous two years. They were randomized evenly to placebo or teriflunomide at 7 milligrams or 14 milligrams once a day.

At the end of the 108­week trial, the annualized relapse rate was equivalent in the two active treatment arms, 0.37, compared with 0.54 for the placebo arm, a relative risk reduction of 31%. The risk of disability progression was also reduced by treatment. The proportion of participants with 12­week confirmed disability progression was 27% for placebo, 22% for low­dose and 20% for high­dose teriflunomide.

The rate of adverse events was the same among all groups, as was the rate for serious adverse events, and there were no deaths.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How effective is teriflunomide?
Teriflunomide reduces relapses by about 30% in people with remitting-relapsing MS. It is about as ef...
What should I know about leflunomide before taking it?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests, check your liver function and blood pressure, and give you ...
What is leflunomide?
Leflunomide (Arava) is a disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD) that affects the immune system...
How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...