Can I get a fracture while taking tiludronate?

Tiludronate (Skelid) is part of a class of drugs called bisphosphonates. There are now concerns that these types of drugs cause certain unusual types of bone fractures. In particular, experts are concerned with fractures that are occurring in the long part of the thigh bone (technically called diaphyseal femur fractures) and fractures in the bone just below the hip joint (atypical subtrochanteric femur fractures).

Although these types of fractures seem very rare and only account for less than one percent of all hip and thigh fractures, you and your doctor need to discuss the risks.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...
How effective is leflunomide at treating psoriatic arthritis?
There has been very little research on using leflunomide to treat psoriatic arthritis. Small studies...
How does leflunomide interact with other medications and foods?
People taking leflunomide should avoid receiving live vaccines. If you are taking an immunosuppress...
How effective is teriflunomide?
Teriflunomide reduces relapses by about 30% in people with remitting-relapsing MS. It is about as ef...