Could I be allergic to denosumab?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Some people are allergic to denosumab, a medicine used to treat thinning and weakening bones (known as osteoporosis) in women who have gone through menopause (the “change of life”) and who have a high risk of getting broken bones.

You should not take this medicine if you are allergic to it or if you are allergic to latex. If you are allergic to latex, you should not touch the needle cap on the denosumab prefilled syringe. The needle cap is made of a latex-like material. Also, tell your doctor if you are allergic to latex before she starts taking denosumab.

Symptoms of an allergic reaction may include:

• swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
  • rash 
  • hives 
  • itching 
  • trouble breathing

Call 911 for allergic reactions is expired.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

How long does it take to get pain relief from hyaluronic acid injections?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
I never guarantee my patients that they're going to see any effect from hyaluronic acid (HA) injecti...
How is cyclobenzaprine used to treat fibromyalgia?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxant. It can reduce fibromyalgia pain and fatigue and improv...
How is cyclobenzaprine used to treat lower back pain?
Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix) is a muscle relaxant. It is a treatment option for people who have muscle sp...
How do hyaluronic acid injections help treat arthritis?
Dr. Grant Cooper, MDDr. Grant Cooper, MD
Hyaluronic acid provides nourishment to the cartilage and helps remove waste products. It also provi...