Can onabotulinumtoxina injections help my sweating problem?

Onabotulinumtoxina (Botox, Botox Cosmetic, Botulinum Toxin Type A) is an injected toxin solution derived from the bacteria Clostridium botulinum. The toxin blocks the transmission of nerve signals (neuromuscular blocking agent). You may know it primarily for its cosmetic use to reduce lines on the forehead, but it can also be used for a wide range of medical problems including severe underarm sweating (hyperhidrosis). Sweating is the body's way of controlling body temperature and many sweat glands are located in the underarms. If you have not been able to control excessive sweating with other measures and there is no other medical cause for your sweating, your doctor may recommend onabotulinumtoxina injections.

Onabotulinumtoxina temporarily blocks the messages to the sweat glands receiving the injection. So sweating stops in that spot. Since sweat glands are located all over the body, sweating continues elsewhere. The safety and efficacy of onabotulinumtoxina that occurs in places other than the underarms has not been established and is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

About 15 injections are given in a doctor's office by a qualified health professional and can last up to six months.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

What should I know about baclofen before taking it?
If you take baclofen, you should avoid alcohol. If you have impaired kidney function, baclofen may ...
What should I know before taking cyclobenzaprine?
If you have congestive heart failure, abnormal heart rhythms, heart block, or heart conduction disor...
How effective is teriflunomide?
Teriflunomide reduces relapses by about 30% in people with remitting-relapsing MS. It is about as ef...
What is baclofen?
Baclofen (Lioresal) may help some people with acid reflux that does not improve with other drug trea...