Can onabotulinumtoxina injections help my sweating problem?

Onabotulinumtoxina (Botox, Botox Cosmetic, Botulinum Toxin Type A) is an injected toxin solution derived from the bacteria Clostridium botulinum. The toxin blocks the transmission of nerve signals (neuromuscular blocking agent). You may know it primarily for its cosmetic use to reduce lines on the forehead, but it can also be used for a wide range of medical problems including severe underarm sweating (hyperhidrosis). Sweating is the body's way of controlling body temperature and many sweat glands are located in the underarms. If you have not been able to control excessive sweating with other measures and there is no other medical cause for your sweating, your doctor may recommend onabotulinumtoxina injections.

Onabotulinumtoxina temporarily blocks the messages to the sweat glands receiving the injection. So sweating stops in that spot. Since sweat glands are located all over the body, sweating continues elsewhere. The safety and efficacy of onabotulinumtoxina that occurs in places other than the underarms has not been established and is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

About 15 injections are given in a doctor's office by a qualified health professional and can last up to six months.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

Should I worry about allergies with Botox?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
According to Allergan pharmaceuticals, serious and immediate allergic reactions have been reported. ...
How does baclofen interact with other medications?
If you are using azelastine nasal spray, paraldehyde, orphenadrine, or thalidomide, baclofen can lea...
Could I be allergic to denosumab?
Some people are allergic to denosumab, a medicine used to treat thinning and weakening bones (known ...
How do hyaluronic acid injections help treat arthritis?
Dr. Geraldine M. Navarro, MDDr. Geraldine M. Navarro, MD
Side effects of hyaluronic acid injections for arthritis include: increased risk of pain infecti...