Can I get onabotulinumtoxina (Botox) injections to prevent migraines?

Onabotulinumtoxina (Botox, Botox Cosmetic, Botulinum Toxin Type A) is an injected toxin solution derived from the bacteria Clostridium botulinum. The toxin blocks the transmission of nerve signals that supply muscles (neuromuscular blocking agent) causing the muscle to become less active. You may know it primarily for its cosmetic use to reduce fine lines and wrinkles on the forehead, but it can also be used for a wide range of medical problems where muscle activity or spasticity is a component of the condition, including migraine prevention.

Migraine is a certain type of headache that causes throbbing pain in one area of the head and can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light and sound. If you have 15 days or more per month with a headache that lasts more than four hours, injections might lessen future migraine symptoms. Injections can last up to three months.

Injections are performed by a qualified doctor in a medical setting every 12 weeks and inserted into various muscles in the head and neck. It is not used to treat a headache currently under way but as a preventive measure.

Continue Learning about Muscoloskeletal Agent

Which medications interact with cyclobenzaprine?
If you are taking a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist, an antipsychotic drug, metoclopramide, cyclobenzaprin...
Could I be allergic to denosumab?
Some people are allergic to denosumab, a medicine used to treat thinning and weakening bones (known ...
Can Botox affect my emotional reactions?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Scientists believe that facial expressions may influence our emotions, meaning that those whose face...
What is Botox used for?
While Botox is famous for smoothing out frown lines and crow's feet, its power to temporarily paraly...