How can heat be used to treat a muscle spasm?

Juan P. Villablanca, MD
Neuroradiology
When heat is applied to a muscle that is having spasms, it increases circulation to the muscle, which in turn helps the muscle to relax. It helps the body remove the acid in the muscle that accumulates when the muscle is chronically contracted. Heat tends to relax our bodies all over, and it has this effect on muscle spasms as well.

Continue Learning about Muscle Spasm

How can I prevent a charley horse?
A charley horse is nothing more than a muscle spasm that, while quick and harmless, can still be...
How do I locate a muscle spasm in my back?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
You can locate muscle spasm in your upper and lower back by lying on your stomach and having som...
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What is the Benefit of Foam Rolling?
What Causes Muscle Spasms?
What Causes Muscle Spasms?