Who is a candidate for ACL reconstruction surgery?

Your doctor may recommend anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery if you:

• Have a knee that gives out or feels unstable during everyday activities, have ongoing knee pain or have other injured ligaments
  • Have gone through a rehabilitation program and still are having trouble
  • Are very active in sports or have a job that requires knee strength
  • Are willing to complete a difficult rehabilitation program

Active patients, who are middle-aged or younger, should consider ACL surgery.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How is body tissue used in ACL reconstruction surgery?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
An ACL reconstruction using your own tissue is generally done with one of two types of tissues in th...
What is a gluteus medius tear?
Alexander Van der Ven, MDAlexander Van der Ven, MD
The gluteus medius is one of the major hip stabilizer muscles. It is located at the outer part of th...
What is jersey finger?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Jersey finger is when a finger is caught in the shirt or jersey of another athlete resulting in a ru...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...