When can I return to normal activity after ACL reconstruction surgery?

The recovery period after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery, and what you can expect long term, is different for every patient. It depends in part on your general physical condition, what you need to do, and other factors.
  • Return to work when your doctor advises. Many patients can return to office work within a week. If your work is physically strenuous and a light-duty assignment is not available, you may need to be off work longer.
  • Return to sports. You can return to sports when you have no more pain or swelling, when your knee has full range of motion, and when your muscle strength and endurance are restored to normal. Your doctor needs to give written permission before you return to any sports or competition.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Can repetitive stress injuries be prevented?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Repetitive stress injuries can be prevented by cross training. Repetitive motion or repetitive activ...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
What is the recovery time for ACL reconstruction surgery?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
The recovery time after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery is longer than many ...
What is a gluteus medius tear?
Alexander Van der Ven, MDAlexander Van der Ven, MD
The gluteus medius is one of the major hip stabilizer muscles. It is located at the outer part of th...