When can I exercise again after a muscle injury?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine

Treat some of the immediate physical changes, including swelling, sensations of heat, and the release of loss-of-movement irritants that produce noxious pain impulses. For trauma or overexertion of muscles, two to three days of rest (minimal time in bed in addition to sleeping, and no forceful exertion) is the treatment of choice. Strained (slightly pulled) and sprained (slightly separated) tissues need time to heal and should not be taxed during the healing period. So, without being fear-avoidant, it is important to remember that insufficient rest after injury exposes you to an increased risk of further injury. However, because loss of motion can delay recovery, it's beneficial to begin gentle and comfortable movement as soon as possible.

Eventually, you'll want to exercise to make sure the tissues repair themselves fully and properly, but initially, rest and gentle movement are recommended. Complete bed rest should only be considered when even minimal movement or slight weight bearing causes severe shooting or stabbing pain.

Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is the treatment for an anterior cruciate ligament or ACL injury?
HCA Midwest HealthHCA Midwest Health
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the most important structures in the knee. It keeps y...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
What is muscle injury?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Muscle injury is caused by strain from overexertion or a sudden twist. Muscle injuries can either be...
What are knee ligament injuries?
Scott D. Martin, MDScott D. Martin, MD
Each year, approximately 200,000 people in the United States injure their anterior cruciate liga...