When can my daughter return to soccer after ACL surgery?

Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction takes about six months of rehabilitation until an athlete can be cleared to play in a contact sport. This time frame can vary based on how the athlete responds to the rehabilitation treatment. It is a long process, and the athlete must stick to the rehabilitation protocol to seek the best results. At the beginning of rehabilitation, it is important to decrease pain and inflammation and increase range of motion of the knee. Once the swelling is controlled and most of the motion is back, your daughter can start strengthening exercises. She will also work on her balance and proprioception.

Usually around four months post-operation, if the athlete has good balance, proprioception, and strength, they can start a running program. They will then progress to a plyometric and jumping program and eventually be able to participate in their sport.

It is also important that you know that each surgeon has their own rehabilitation protocol that they want their patients to follow. This, too, will have an effect on the time frame to return to sport. It is imperative that the athletic trainer and physical therapist have good communication with the physician to help the athlete along the rehabilitation process.

(This answer provided for NATA by the King College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...
What causes an ACL injury?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Most anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries are the result of a specific trauma and are associate...
What can I expect during rehabilitation after ACL reconstruction surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Rehabilitation is a series of exercises and treatments designed to help you recover from surgery and...
How is body tissue used in ACL reconstruction surgery?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
An ACL reconstruction using your own tissue is generally done with one of two types of tissues in th...