What is the treatment for repetitive motion disorders (RMDs)?

Treatment for repetitive motion disorders (RMDs) usually includes reducing or stopping the motions that cause the symptoms. Options include taking breaks to give the affected area time to rest, and adopting stretching and relaxation exercises. Applying ice to the affected area and using medications such as pain relievers, cortisone, and anti-inflammatory drugs can reduce pain and swelling. Splints may be able to relieve pressure on the muscles and nerves. Physical therapy may relieve the soreness and pain in the muscles and joints. In rare cases, surgery may be required to relieve symptoms and prevent permanent damage. Some employers have developed ergonomic programs to help workers adjust their pace of work and arrange office equipment to minimize problems.

This answer is based on source information from  the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...
What should I expect after having ACL surgery?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
After ACL surgery, expect many weeks of limited movement and six months before engaging in sport-rel...
Can repetitive stress injuries be prevented?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Repetitive stress injuries can be prevented by cross training. Repetitive motion or repetitive activ...
Why may I need ACL surgery?
You may need anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) surgery if you have an ACL tear because ACL tears do n...