What is the likelihood of tearing the same ACL twice?

According to a study performed by Russell et al. and published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, if an individual undergoes a proper rehabilitation protocol and consistently implements the use of a stabilizing brace, he or she has approximately a 6% chance of reinjuring the same anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), as well as a 6% chance of injuring the opposite ACL. Not adhering to a proper rehabilitation protocol carried out by a certified athletic trainer or physical therapist will increase the risk significantly.

(This answer provided for NATA by the King College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar co...
What is medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury?
Christopher C. Bell, MDChristopher C. Bell, MD
The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is a knee ligament that joins the lower end of the femur (thigh...
What can I expect during rehabilitation after ACL reconstruction surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Rehabilitation is a series of exercises and treatments designed to help you recover from surgery and...
What should I expect after knee ligament surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
Depending on the type of knee ligament reconstruction, expect a recovery time of about six to twelve...