What is the recovery time for ACL reconstruction surgery?

The recovery time after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery is longer than many similar surgeries. This is because people who've had an ACL tear reconstruction usually want to get back to strenuous activity, which takes longer than just getting back to daily living. The full recovery time is required, so they can get back to playing contact sports or, for example, to get back on the slopes. This usually takes six months to a year, depending on how much time and effort you put into rehabilitating your knee after surgery.

Rehabilitation after ACL reconstruction surgery is critical. A lot of surgeries don't require much therapy afterwards. But an ACL is the exception. The surgeon's job takes about an hour or an hour and a half in the operating room. But the person with the injury has to go through months and months of very strenuous, sometimes painful, recovery to get back to where they were. By far, the most important thing in an ACL reconstruction is what people and their physical therapists do after the surgery is done.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the major stabilizing ligaments in the knee. A torn A...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
When is surgery needed for tendon injuries?
Dr. Fernando J. Manalac, MDDr. Fernando J. Manalac, MD
From the 1970s to 2000s, advanced treatment for tendinopathy (diseases of the tendon) was limited to...
What is an ACL?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
An ACL, or anterior cruciate ligament, is an important ligament in the knee created for stability he...