What are knee ligament injuries?

Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Each year, approximately 200,000 people in the United States injure their anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). ACL injury is sometimes accompanied by medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury on the inside of the knee. Women are more than twice as likely as men to experience an ACL injury. People who participate in sports such as basketball, football, skiing, and soccer—which involve changing direction rapidly, stopping suddenly, or landing awkwardly—are at high risk for ACL injury as well. About half of ACL injuries occur together with damage to the meniscus, articular cartilage, or other ligaments.

Symptoms of a medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury:
  • Pain and tenderness on the inside of the knee
  • Swelling
  • Wobbling of the knee or knee buckling inward
  • Sensation of the knee opening up with each step (in severe injuries)
Symptoms of an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury:
  • A popping sound at the time of injury
  • Swelling, which may cause pain
  • Instability, ranging from wobbling to  a feeling that the knee bone (femur and tibia) are slipping on each other, causing the knee to give way, usually on pivoting.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What should I expect after having ACL surgery?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
After ACL surgery, expect many weeks of limited movement and six months before engaging in sport-rel...
Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar co...
Why may I need ACL surgery?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You may need anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) surgery if you have an ACL tear because ACL tears do n...
What is an Achilles tendon rupture?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
The Achilles tendon connects the calf muscles to the heel bone. A rupture of the tendon means the te...