What are knee ligament injuries?

Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Each year, approximately 200,000 people in the United States injure their anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). ACL injury is sometimes accompanied by medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury on the inside of the knee. Women are more than twice as likely as men to experience an ACL injury. People who participate in sports such as basketball, football, skiing, and soccer—which involve changing direction rapidly, stopping suddenly, or landing awkwardly—are at high risk for ACL injury as well. About half of ACL injuries occur together with damage to the meniscus, articular cartilage, or other ligaments.

Symptoms of a medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury:
  • Pain and tenderness on the inside of the knee
  • Swelling
  • Wobbling of the knee or knee buckling inward
  • Sensation of the knee opening up with each step (in severe injuries)
Symptoms of an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury:
  • A popping sound at the time of injury
  • Swelling, which may cause pain
  • Instability, ranging from wobbling to  a feeling that the knee bone (femur and tibia) are slipping on each other, causing the knee to give way, usually on pivoting.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Why are females more at risk for ACL injuries?
Dr. Jennifer A. Baima, MDDr. Jennifer A. Baima, MD
We are still learning about how injuries to the ligaments are different in women and men. One theory...
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...
What is the treatment for an anterior cruciate ligament or ACL injury?
HCA Midwest HealthHCA Midwest Health
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the most important structures in the knee. It keeps y...
Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar co...