What is the Thompson test?

A Thompson test diagnoses a rupture of the achilles tendon, which connects the foot plantar flexors to the calcaneus (heel) of the foot. The test starts with the patient lying prone (on stomach) and his feet of the edge of a table while the clinician squeezes the calf (muscular part of the lower leg). The foot should plantar flex, or point toes downward, like the person is stepping on a gas pedal. A positive Thompson test, indicating an achilles tendon rupture, occurs if no reaction is noted.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar co...
What is medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury?
Christopher C. Bell, MDChristopher C. Bell, MD
The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is a knee ligament that joins the lower end of the femur (thigh...
Why may I need ACL surgery?
Dr. Scott D. Martin, MDDr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Although the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) cannot heal, one in three people can regain enough str...
What is the recovery time for ACL reconstruction surgery?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
The recovery time after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery is longer than many ...