What is mallet finger?

Mallet finger is also called baseball or basketball finger, as the tip of the finger is hit by a ball, which causes an extensor tendon to tear away from the bone. This results in an inability to straighten the last joint of the finger.

Mallet finger is often treated with the use of a specially-designed splint that covers only the injured joint. The splint must be worn continuously for a minimum of six weeks to allow the tendon to heal. In some cases, surgery may be needed if it doesn’t heal.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Rachel Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

Mallet finger, or inability to extend the joint at the very end of the finger, results from the tendon being torn from the bone. Sometimes the tendon tears off a piece of bone; this is called a “mallet fracture.” These are treated best by splinting the joint in slight hyperextension, allowing the tendon to heal. This splint usually is kept in place constantly for six to eight weeks.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...
What are the symptoms of an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...
How difficult are ACL repairs?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
ACL repairs are a very common procedure, but it’s best to find a surgeon who frequently performs the...
What is a tendon injury (tendinopathy)?
Tendons are strong, flexible bands of tissue that connect your muscles to your bones. For example, t...