What can help me recover from ACL reconstruction surgery?

After anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery, there's a lot you can do to make sure you have a good outcome. At first you can help your wound heal by managing the pain and swelling. You'll also need to start right away with rehabilitation exercises. These are exercises to help you regain range of motion in your knee and to restore your sense of balance and control in your leg.

For most patients, regaining full strength, balance, and control in the knee and leg takes several months. How fast and how well you recover depends in large part on how consistently and carefully you do your rehabilitation exercises.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Why may I need ACL surgery?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You may need anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) surgery if you have an ACL tear because ACL tears do n...
How are knee ligament injuries treated?
Dr. Scott D. Martin, MDDr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Knee ligament injuries are treated as follows: Treating media collateral ligament (MCL) damage. Onc...
What is an Achilles tendon rupture?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
The Achilles tendon connects the calf muscles to the heel bone. A rupture of the tendon means the te...
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...