What can help me recover from ACL reconstruction surgery?

After anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery, there's a lot you can do to make sure you have a good outcome. At first you can help your wound heal by managing the pain and swelling. You'll also need to start right away with rehabilitation exercises. These are exercises to help you regain range of motion in your knee and to restore your sense of balance and control in your leg.

For most patients, regaining full strength, balance, and control in the knee and leg takes several months. How fast and how well you recover depends in large part on how consistently and carefully you do your rehabilitation exercises.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is jersey finger?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Jersey finger is when a finger is caught in the shirt or jersey of another athlete resulting in a ru...
What is a gluteus medius tear?
Alexander Van der Ven, MDAlexander Van der Ven, MD
The gluteus medius is one of the major hip stabilizer muscles. It is located at the outer part of th...
What is an Achilles tendon rupture?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
The Achilles tendon connects the calf muscles to the heel bone. A rupture of the tendon means the te...
Why may I need ACL surgery?
Dr. Scott D. Martin, MDDr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Although the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) cannot heal, one in three people can regain enough str...