What is a gluteus medius tear?

The gluteus medius is one of the major hip stabilizer muscles. It is located at the outer part of the hip and functions as a hip abductor and internal rotator of the thigh while keeping the pelvis level during walking. An injury to this muscle can be a sprain or rupture. You may feel pain or irritation in the buttocks that varies with the severity of injury.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How can knee ligaments be repaired?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
Knee ligament reconstruction replaces a torn ligament in the knee, with ACL reconstruction falling i...
What is an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a ligament inside your knee that keeps your knee and shinbon...
Why may I need ACL surgery?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
You may need anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) surgery if you have an ACL tear because ACL tears do n...
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...