What can I expect during rehabilitation after ACL reconstruction surgery?

Rehabilitation is a series of exercises and treatments designed to help you recover from surgery and rebuild your strength. Rehabilitation from anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction requires time and commitment. Most people need to do rehabilitation activities for a few months. Athletes will need a doctor's signed permission before returning to competitive sports.

During rehabilitation, you may need to:

• Wear a knee brace for a week or more
  • Use crutches for several weeks
  • Do physical therapy exercises for several months
  • Have restrictions on your activity for several months
  • Take pain medication

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is a tendon injury (tendinopathy)?
Tendons are strong, flexible bands of tissue that connect your muscles to your bones. For example, t...
What is the treatment for an anterior cruciate ligament or ACL injury?
HCA Midwest HealthHCA Midwest Health
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the most important structures in the knee. It keeps y...
What happens during anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) knee surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery replaces the ligament in the center of your ...
What increases my risk for ACL injuries?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
People involved in high-contact sports, like soccer, basketball, volleyball and football, and high-i...