What should I expect after having ACL surgery?

After anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery, you will be taken to a recovery area where nurses will monitor your vital signs until the anesthesia wears off. You will be able to go home when your vital signs have returned to normal and you are fully awake. This is usually about 2 hours after surgery.

Your healthcare providers will discuss with you the outcome of the surgery and what you should do at home. You may not remember this information. Ask a friend or family member to take notes.

After ACL surgery, expect many weeks of limited movement and six months before engaging in sport-related activities.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...
Are ACL injuries more common in males or females?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Women are more prone to ACL injuries than men due to hormonal cycles, and the fact that women use di...
What is mallet finger?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Mallet finger, or inability to extend the joint at the very end of the finger, results from the tend...
What is muscle injury?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Muscle injury is caused by strain from overexertion or a sudden twist. Muscle injuries can either be...