Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What should I expect after having ACL surgery?

• After anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery, you will be taken to a recovery area where nurses will monitor your vital signs until the anesthesia wears off. You will be able to go home when your vital signs have returned to normal and you are fully awake. This is usually about 2 hours after surgery.

Your healthcare providers will discuss with you the outcome of the surgery and what you should do at home. You may not remember this information. Ask a friend or family member to take notes.
  • A Orthopedic Surgery, answered on behalf of
    What Is Recovery Like from ACL Repair?
    Recovery from ACL repair can be pushed too fast, says Fred Redfern, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at Sunrise Hospital. In this video, he says that three to six months is a better window for rehab. 
How can I decide between autograft and allograft for a torn ACL?