What exercises help treat wrist tendinitis?

Tendinitis can be a very tricky injury. Pain is going to be your best indicator for what exercises you can and cannot do. Start simple with light stretching of the wrist in all directions. If no pain is felt during these exercises, you can progress to light strengthening exercises. These can involve gripping a rubber ball, bending and straightening the wrist with a light weight in your hand, and turning your wrist over from palm up to palm down with a lightweight object in your hand. These exercises should be completed 15-30 times and 2-3 times a day. If pain is felt during these exercises, stop the exercise and rest for the remainder of the day. You can begin the exercise again when you are pain free, and you can increase the weight when it becomes easier for you to do so.

Additionally, it is always a good idea to see your doctor for possible referral to a certified athletic trainer who can outline a progression of strengthening exercises for you.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is jersey finger?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Jersey finger is when a finger is caught in the shirt or jersey of another athlete resulting in a ru...
What causes an ACL injury?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Most anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries are the result of a specific trauma and are associate...
What should I expect after knee ligament surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
Depending on the type of knee ligament reconstruction, expect a recovery time of about six to twelve...
How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...