What causes Iliotibial (IT) band syndrome?

IT Band syndrome (ITBS) is a result of friction between the IT band and the lateral femoral epicondyle (bony point at the lower end of the femur or thigh bone). Repeated knee flexion and extension causes the bursa (a small fluid filled sac) between the IT band and the lateral femoral epicondyle to become inflamed and painful. Athletes with genu recurvatum (hyperextension of the knee) or strength imbalances between the hamstring and quadriceps muscle groups are more likely to experience IT band syndrome.

This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Are ACL injuries more common in males or females?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Women are more prone to ACL injuries than men due to hormonal cycles, and the fact that women use di...
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...
How can knee ligaments be repaired?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
Knee ligament reconstruction replaces a torn ligament in the knee, with ACL reconstruction falling i...
What causes tendon pain?
Fernando Manalac, MDFernando Manalac, MD
A variety of tendon problems can cause significant pain and dysfunction, keeping people from doing t...