What causes Iliotibial (IT) band syndrome?

IT Band syndrome (ITBS) is a result of friction between the IT band and the lateral femoral epicondyle (bony point at the lower end of the femur or thigh bone). Repeated knee flexion and extension causes the bursa (a small fluid filled sac) between the IT band and the lateral femoral epicondyle to become inflamed and painful. Athletes with genu recurvatum (hyperextension of the knee) or strength imbalances between the hamstring and quadriceps muscle groups are more likely to experience IT band syndrome.

This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...
What is an ACL?
Englewood Community HospitalEnglewood Community Hospital
The ACL is in the front aspect of the knee and helps with coordination and the pivoting or rotationa...
What is muscle injury?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
Muscle injury is caused by strain from overexertion or a sudden twist. Muscle injuries can either be...
What happens during anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) knee surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery replaces the ligament in the center of your ...