What causes an ACL injury?

Most anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries are the result of a specific trauma and are associated with a pivoting or twisting motion. Your knee joint consists of three bones: the femur (thighbone), tibia (shinbone) and patella (knee cap). Four bands of tissue called ligaments hold the bones together and keep them stable. The two collateral ligaments control sideways movement within the knee. The anterior (front) cruciate ligament and posterior (rear) cruciate ligament cross each other to make an X and control forward and backward motion.

ACL injuries can occur from:

• changing direction rapidly
  • stopping suddenly
  • slowing down while running
  • landing from a jump incorrectly
  • making direct contact or colliding, such as a football tackle

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is an ACL?
Englewood Community HospitalEnglewood Community Hospital
The ACL is in the front aspect of the knee and helps with coordination and the pivoting or rotationa...
How is an ACL injury treated?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Initial treatment for an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear involves rest, ice, bracing the joint...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
What are the symptoms of an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury?
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...