What is an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear?

The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a ligament inside your knee that keeps your knee and shinbone in place. It's also the most commonly damaged knee ligament.

When a knee ligament like the ACL is torn, you may feel like your knee doesn't want to hold up. It's likely to give out on you when you turn corners or walk. It's very uncomfortable, and it puts the rest of the cartilage in your knee at risk of being damaged when your knee shifts out of place.

Basketball, football, soccer, downhill skiing and other aggressive sports where you're making cutting movements are a frequent cause of ACL tears. The most important thing for people to remember is that even if you have very well-developed muscles, you can tear your ACL. Professional athletes frequently tear their ACLs, so it's not an injury you can absolutely prevent.

The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the major stabilizing ligaments in the knee. A torn ACL does not heal on its own, and often leads to the feeling of instability in the knee.

The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the large ligaments within the knee that help provide stability to the knee. If the ACL tears, the ligament fibers are torn either partially or completely. When the ACL tears, the tibia (calf bone) can move forward relative to the femur (thighbone). This is an unstable joint. The amount of instability depends on the size of the tear and how strong the surrounding muscles and ligaments are. If the ACL is completely torn and you are a very active person, it could lead to further knee injury to the cartilage, blood vessels and nerves.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
What is a gluteus medius tear?
Alexander Van der Ven, MDAlexander Van der Ven, MD
The gluteus medius is one of the major hip stabilizer muscles. It is located at the outer part of th...
How can I prevent ACL injuries?
There are several ways in which an athlete may reduce the risk of having an anterior cruciate ligame...
How are knee ligament injuries treated?
Dr. Scott D. Martin, MDDr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Knee ligament injuries are treated as follows: Treating media collateral ligament (MCL) damage. Onc...