What should I expect after knee ligament surgery?

Depending on the type of knee ligament reconstruction, expect a recovery time of about six to twelve weeks.

Dr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

After knee ligament surgery, you'll go home with crutches and may use a brace that holds your leg straight (locked in the extended position) or unlocked for a sitting position. During the first two weeks after surgery, you'll ice your knee regularly to reduce swelling and pain. Physical therapy will focus on improving your strength, stability and movement. Your muscle strength dictates when you may reintroduce various activities, usually at least 10 weeks after surgery for normal activities and about six months for sports.

Following surgery, rehabilitation is crucial and has a major impact on your outcome. If you don't have surgery, you must make an ongoing commitment to strengthening your knee muscles. If you do have surgery, you need to participate in physical therapy both before and after surgery to gain as much strength and range of movement as possible.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
What causes tendon pain?
Dr. Fernando J. Manalac, MDDr. Fernando J. Manalac, MD
A variety of tendon problems can cause significant pain and dysfunction, keeping people from doing t...
How can I prevent ACL injuries?
There are several ways in which an athlete may reduce the risk of having an anterior cruciate ligame...