How is body tissue used in ACL reconstruction surgery?

An ACL reconstruction using your own tissue is generally done with one of two types of tissues in the body:

1. the patellar bone graft, a small piece of the tendon, is harvested and then inserted into the knee to build the new ligament
  2. the hamstring tendons from the back of the knee can be harvested and used to reconstruct the ACL

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Are ACL injuries more common in males or females?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Women are more prone to ACL injuries than men due to hormonal cycles, and the fact that women use di...
How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...
How difficult are ACL repairs?
ACL repairs are a very common procedure, but it’s best to find a surgeon who frequently performs the...
What are knee ligament injuries?
Scott D. Martin, MDScott D. Martin, MD
Each year, approximately 200,000 people in the United States injure their anterior cruciate liga...