Should I talk to my doctor about my repetitive stress injury symptoms?

Aaron Nelson
Sports Medicine
You should definitely talk to your doctor about repetitve stress injury symptoms. The earlier you seek the advice of a physician, the better the chance you have of avoiding a more severe injury such as a stress fracture. The doctor may be able to recommend better footwear or give you advice on OTC medications that will help calm the pain and inflammation.

You should talk to your doctor if you have symptoms of repetitive stress injuries, no matter if the pain stops or if it increases. If you are at risk of developing osteoporosis, you should discuss that factor as well with your doctor. If you are female and don't menstruate or already have osteoporosis and are experiencing symptoms of repetitive stress injuries, you should talk to your doctor. Competitive athletes might prefer to see a specialist in orthopedics.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is mallet finger?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Mallet finger is also called baseball or basketball finger, as the tip of the finger is hit by a...
What is ACL reconstruction surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
An ACL reconstruction is a surgical replacement of the torn ACL.
Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?
If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar co...
Why are females more at risk for ACL injuries?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Females are more at risk for anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury in the knee for a few reasons. ...