What is medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury?

Christopher C. Bell, MD
Sports Medicine
The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is a knee ligament that joins the lower end of the femur (thigh bone) to the upper end of the tibia (shin bone) on the medial (inner) part of the knee (part of the knee closest to the other knee). It prevents medial "folding" or bending of the knee towards the other knee, especially with lateral movements. Injuries most often occur when there are forces that drive the knee inward and separate the inner part of the femur and inner part of the tibia. The general term for ligament injuries are sprains, so MCL injuries are termed sprains also. There are different grades of sprains. Grade 1 is a stretch of the ligament such that there is trauma to it but no tear. This is the mildest form of injury. Grade 2 sprains involve partial tearing of the ligament. Grade 3 sprains involve full thickness tears. 

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What increases my risk for ACL injuries?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
People involved in high-contact sports, like soccer, basketball, volleyball and football, and high-i...
More Answers
How are knee ligament injuries treated?
Dr. Scott D. Martin, MDDr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Knee ligament injuries are treated as follows: Treating media collateral ligament (MCL) damage. Onc...
More Answers
What is mallet finger?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Mallet finger, or inability to extend the joint at the very end of the finger, results from the tend...
More Answers
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.