How should I treat a repetitive-use injury in my hand or wrist?

Try these five simple steps to help treat repetitive-use injury of the hands and wrist:
  • Take a couple of days away from the keyboard so healing can begin.
  • Go to physical therapy. Hand stretching exercises can help.
  • Alternate heat and ice on the area (10 minutes of each, several times a day).
  • Examine your desk setup. Position your keyboard, screen, and chair so that you're strain-free, and don't forget to maintain good posture. With proper ergonomics, you should start seeing positive results pretty quickly.
  • Try a trackball mouse to ease stress on your fingers.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How are tendon injuries treated?
Dr. Fernando J. Manalac, MDDr. Fernando J. Manalac, MD
In the not-so-long-ago past, treatment plans for tendon injuries were very limited: Rest, ice, compr...
What is a gluteus medius tear?
Alexander Van der Ven, MDAlexander Van der Ven, MD
The gluteus medius is one of the major hip stabilizer muscles. It is located at the outer part of th...
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...
Why are females more at risk for ACL injuries?
Dr. Jennifer A. Baima, MDDr. Jennifer A. Baima, MD
We are still learning about how injuries to the ligaments are different in women and men. One theory...