How can I tell if I injured my medial collateral ligament (MCL)?

A sprain of the medial collateral ligament (MCL) is characterized by pain on the inside of the knee, decreased ability to straighten and bend the knee, possible decrease in knee strength, and possible feeling of the knee being loose. It is common to also have symptoms of a meniscus tear or anterior cruciate (ACL) sprain with this injury.

This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What causes an ACL injury?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Most anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries are the result of a specific trauma and are associate...
Who is a candidate for ACL reconstruction surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Your doctor may recommend anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery if you: Have a ...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
What is the treatment for an anterior cruciate ligament or ACL injury?
HCA Midwest HealthHCA Midwest Health
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the most important structures in the knee. It keeps y...