How can I tell if I injured my medial collateral ligament (MCL)?

A sprain of the medial collateral ligament (MCL) is characterized by pain on the inside of the knee, decreased ability to straighten and bend the knee, possible decrease in knee strength, and possible feeling of the knee being loose. It is common to also have symptoms of a meniscus tear or anterior cruciate (ACL) sprain with this injury.

This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How difficult are ACL repairs?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
ACL repairs are a very common procedure, but it’s best to find a surgeon who frequently performs the...
What is an Achilles tendon rupture?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
The Achilles tendon connects the calf muscles to the heel bone. A rupture of the tendon means the te...
What is ACL reconstruction surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
An ACL reconstruction is a surgical replacement of the torn ACL.
How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...