How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?

If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your knee, so the sooner you get checked out the better. Often, the doctor will need to examine you in person. If you're too sore to be examined and can’t tell if it's torn, sometimes your doctor will ask you to come back in a week or two. But a torn ligament certainly isn't something to put off for a few weeks or months to see if it gets better. ACLs will not heal on their own—they never do. The problem with waiting is that because your knee is unstable, it slides around. This allows any healthy cartilage in your knee to be chewed up. So you're really damaging your knee further if you don't get it taken care of as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What causes an ACL injury?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Most anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries are the result of a specific trauma and are associate...
What increases my risk for ACL injuries?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
People involved in high-contact sports, like soccer, basketball, volleyball and football, and high-i...
How can knee ligaments be repaired?
Knee ligament reconstruction replaces a torn ligament in the knee, with ACL reconstruction falling i...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...