How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?

If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your knee, so the sooner you get checked out the better. Often, the doctor will need to examine you in person. If you're too sore to be examined and can’t tell if it's torn, sometimes your doctor will ask you to come back in a week or two. But a torn ligament certainly isn't something to put off for a few weeks or months to see if it gets better. ACLs will not heal on their own—they never do. The problem with waiting is that because your knee is unstable, it slides around. This allows any healthy cartilage in your knee to be chewed up. So you're really damaging your knee further if you don't get it taken care of as soon as possible.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is the recovery time for ACL reconstruction surgery?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
The recovery time after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery is longer than many ...
What is mallet finger?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Mallet finger is also called baseball or basketball finger, as the tip of the finger is hit by a...
What causes an ACL injury?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Most anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries are the result of a specific trauma and are associate...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...