How should I prepare for ACL surgery?

These are things to do to make your anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery go better:
  • Stop smoking. People who don't smoke have better outcomes and faster recovery.
  • Ask for time off work. Ask your doctor how long you may need to be off work, and arrange this with your employer.
  • Check your medications. Ask your doctor if you should stop taking any of your current medications before surgery. On the day of surgery, bring a list of all your medications, vitamins, and supplements with you.
  • Fast the night before. Don't eat or drink anything for 8 to 12 hours before surgery. Take routine medications, if instructed to do so, with a few sips of water.
  • Arrange for someone to drive you home and stay with you for the first 24 hours.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

How are tendon injuries treated?
Dr. Fernando J. Manalac, MDDr. Fernando J. Manalac, MD
In the not-so-long-ago past, treatment plans for tendon injuries were very limited: Rest, ice, compr...
What happens during anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) knee surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery replaces the ligament in the center of your ...
What causes tendon pain?
A variety of tendon problems can cause significant pain and dysfunction, keeping people from doing t...
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...