How much muscle soreness is too much during rehabilitation?

Increases in activities will normally cause some muscle soreness. This will feel similar to soreness felt after participating in athletics or over-exercising, especially if you tried a new activity or haven’t exercised recently. Rehabilitation usually involves performing new activities or activities in different ways. It is not unusual to experience muscle soreness. The soreness should decrease with movement and stretching. If the soreness increases with movement or is accompanied by sharp pain or numbness, consult your clinician or your physician for further instructions.

(This answer provided for NATA by the King College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Are ACL injuries more common in males or females?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Women are more prone to ACL injuries than men due to hormonal cycles, and the fact that women use di...
How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...
What is a tendon injury (tendinopathy)?
Tendons are strong, flexible bands of tissue that connect your muscles to your bones. For example, t...
What is a gluteus medius tear?
Alexander Van der Ven, MDAlexander Van der Ven, MD
The gluteus medius is one of the major hip stabilizer muscles. It is located at the outer part of th...