How is the medial collateral ligament (MCL) injured?

The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is injured by a valgus or rotational stress. A valgus stress is a force that pushes the knee in and the lower leg out. A valgus stress is caused by being hit on the outside of the knee. Rotational force will be caused by when the foot is planted and the knee is twisted.

This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
Why may I need ACL surgery?
Dr. Scott D. Martin, MDDr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Although the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) cannot heal, one in three people can regain enough str...
Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?
If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar co...
What is the recovery time for ACL reconstruction surgery?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
The recovery time after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery is longer than many ...