How is the medial collateral ligament (MCL) injured?

The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is injured by a valgus or rotational stress. A valgus stress is a force that pushes the knee in and the lower leg out. A valgus stress is caused by being hit on the outside of the knee. Rotational force will be caused by when the foot is planted and the knee is twisted.

This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What can I expect during rehabilitation after ACL reconstruction surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Rehabilitation is a series of exercises and treatments designed to help you recover from surgery and...
What are knee ligament injuries?
Scott D. Martin, MDScott D. Martin, MD
Each year, approximately 200,000 people in the United States injure their anterior cruciate liga...
What should I expect after knee ligament surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
Depending on the type of knee ligament reconstruction, expect a recovery time of about six to twelve...
What is the recovery time for ACL reconstruction surgery?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
The recovery time after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery is longer than many ...