How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?

An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the knee joint slide followed by inability to walk normally, swelling of the knee joint, fluid buildup around the knee, difficulty straightening the knee, pain in the back of the knee, and the knee feeling unstable.

This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Can repetitive stress injuries be prevented?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
To help prevent repetitive stress injuries related to computers or gaming, ensure that your chair an...
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...
What can I expect during rehabilitation after ACL reconstruction surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Rehabilitation is a series of exercises and treatments designed to help you recover from surgery and...
What is the treatment for an anterior cruciate ligament or ACL injury?
HCA Midwest HealthHCA Midwest Health
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the most important structures in the knee. It keeps y...