How do I know if I have injured my anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)?

An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the knee joint slide followed by inability to walk normally, swelling of the knee joint, fluid buildup around the knee, difficulty straightening the knee, pain in the back of the knee, and the knee feeling unstable.

This answer provided for NATA by Loras College.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is a tendon injury (tendinopathy)?
Tendons are strong, flexible bands of tissue that connect your muscles to your bones. For example, t...
What is an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a ligament inside your knee that keeps your knee and shinbon...
What are the symptoms of an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) sprain is characterized by a pop associated with feeling the kne...
Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?
If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar co...