How are knee ligament injuries treated?

Dr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Knee ligament injuries are treated as follows:

Treating media collateral ligament (MCL) damage. Once your knee is wrapped in a bandage, ice and elevation will help reduce swelling. Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to help relieve pain and inflammation. A brace may help you totally rest the joint. Limit physical activity until the pain and swelling go away. Surgery is rarely needed unless the ACL is also injured. Physical therapy can gradually improve your range of motion and the strength and flexibility of your quadriceps and hamstrings. Depending on the severity of the injury, it may take as little as a week or more than two months before you can return to normal activities.

Treating anterior collateral ligament (ACL) damage. The first steps are the same as for MCL damage: use ice and compression, and elevate your knee whenever you sit or lie down. For pain relief, start with over-the-counter NSAIDs. Even when surgery is indicated, your surgeon will usually delay surgery for 4-6 weeks to give the knee a chance to calm down with return of motion and elimination of swelling.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar co...
How is body tissue used in ACL reconstruction surgery?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
An ACL reconstruction using your own tissue is generally done with one of two types of tissues in th...
What is medial collateral ligament (MCL) injury?
Christopher C. Bell, MDChristopher C. Bell, MD
The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is a knee ligament that joins the lower end of the femur (thigh...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...