How are tendon injuries treated?

Fernando Manalac, MD
Sports Medicine
In the not-so-long-ago past, treatment plans for tendon injuries were very limited: Rest, ice, compression and elevation (RICE) were, and still are, the best initial therapeutics.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) and other medications and modalities are also used to reduce inflammation and can be very beneficial. Prescription medications and cortisone injections may have a limited role in persistent tendon pain or inflammation. However, nothing has been shown to be more effective than eccentric (stretching or lengthening) exercise in physical therapy at repairing damaged tendons. Surgery may be required in the case of complete tears.

Orthobiologic injections, such as platelet-rich plasma and mesenchymal stem cells, and minimally invasive techniques, such as percutaneous tenotomy, are revolutionizing the advanced treatment of tendinopathy.

Trinity Health recognizes that people seek medical information on a variety of topics for a variety of reasons. Trinity Health does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. As a Catholic health care organization, Trinity Health acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition.

Please note, the information contained on this website is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider if you have questions regarding your medical condition or before starting any new treatment. In the event of a medical emergency always call 911 or proceed to your nearest emergency care facility.

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What is the treatment for an anterior cruciate ligament or ACL injury?
HCA Midwest HealthHCA Midwest Health
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the most important structures in the knee. It keeps y...
Why are females more at risk for ACL injuries?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Females are more at risk for anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury in the knee for a few reasons. ...
What causes an ACL injury?
Most anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries are the result of a specific trauma and are associate...
How soon should I see a doctor if I suspect I have an ACL injury?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
If you think you have an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear, you have a severe injury to your kne...