Are girls or boys more likely to have an ACL tear?

High school football players may get more prime-time play and louder fans
than the girls’ soccer team, but in terms of injury, girls are eight times more likely than guys to tear their ACLs. Girls’ knees are less stable for several reasons: Their hips widen during puberty, which puts strain on the knee, plus the joint itself loosens due to hormonal changes. Yet another hormonal factor may come into play: Increased levels of estrogen around the time of a girl’s period may weaken joints and ligaments. To help avoid ACL tears, you want to support the joint by developing your quadriceps muscles in the front of the thigh, so that they are balanced in strength with the hamstring muscles on the back of the thigh.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Muscle & Connective Tissue Injuries

What increases my risk for ACL injuries?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
People involved in high-contact sports, like soccer, basketball, volleyball and football, and high-i...
Why does the outside of my leg hurt after I have rolled my ankle?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The most common way to roll your ankle is inversion. Sometimes when this occurs, the lower porti...
Why does the inside of my elbow hurt if it gets hit on the outside?
If the inside of your elbow hurts even though it got hit on the outside, you may have a ulnar co...
Can repetitive stress injuries be prevented?
Kristen A. Herbst, DOKristen A. Herbst, DO
Repetitive stress injuries can be prevented by cross training. Repetitive motion or repetitive activ...