Who should get the mumps vaccine?

The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommends routine vaccination for children, beginning at 12-15 months, and adults born in 1957 or later who cannot prove they have been vaccinated. If you work in a healthcare center or facility, you should also get the vaccine to protect yourself. Talk to your doctor about your specific needs.

However, in the US, mumps vaccine is available only in two combination products: one with measles and rubella and the other with measles, rubella and varicella vaccines.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...