When should I worry about my mumps symptoms?

If you contract mumps, chances are good that you will recover without lasting ill effects in about two weeks' time -- however, you may run the risk of infecting others, and there is a chance of dangerous complications. You should call your doctor to confirm that your symptoms are indeed mumps, and to be checked for any danger signs. He or she can recommend a course of action (what to do if the mumps make it difficult to eat or drink, for example) and tell you what to watch out for. Be alert for known complications -- if you are male and your testicles become swollen and inflamed due to mumps, you may be suffering from orchitis. If you experience abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting, you may have pancreatitis; if you have seizures, a stiff neck, confusion or disorientation as a result of mumps infection, you may be suffering from meningitis or encephalitis. If your symptoms become worse after 2 weeks, contact your doctor.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...