When should I worry about my mumps symptoms?

If you contract mumps, chances are good that you will recover without lasting ill effects in about two weeks' time -- however, you may run the risk of infecting others, and there is a chance of dangerous complications. You should call your doctor to confirm that your symptoms are indeed mumps, and to be checked for any danger signs. He or she can recommend a course of action (what to do if the mumps make it difficult to eat or drink, for example) and tell you what to watch out for. Be alert for known complications -- if you are male and your testicles become swollen and inflamed due to mumps, you may be suffering from orchitis. If you experience abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting, you may have pancreatitis; if you have seizures, a stiff neck, confusion or disorientation as a result of mumps infection, you may be suffering from meningitis or encephalitis. If your symptoms become worse after 2 weeks, contact your doctor.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a viral disease also known as epidemic parotitis. It swells the parotid glands, which are s...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...