What does testicular swelling mean if I have mumps?

If you are a man or boy with mumps and you experience testicular swelling, you may have developed the common complication orchitis. Orchitis cause pain and inflammation of the testicles. Sometimes, orchitis causes infertility, but this is rare. Ice packs or cold compresses can help to relieve the pain and inflammation in your testicles. An athletic support, or jock strap, can help ease the pain in your testicles when you move.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...