What does testicular swelling mean if I have mumps?

If you are a man or boy with mumps and you experience testicular swelling, you may have developed the common complication orchitis. Orchitis cause pain and inflammation of the testicles. Sometimes, orchitis causes infertility, but this is rare. Ice packs or cold compresses can help to relieve the pain and inflammation in your testicles. An athletic support, or jock strap, can help ease the pain in your testicles when you move.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...