What should I do if my partner has mumps?

If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you are already vaccinated. If you have not been vaccinated and think you were exposed to the mumps, check for symptoms such as headache, muscle aches and swollen glands under your ears. These symptoms will not develop until 16-18 days after exposure. Talk to your doctor about getting the mumps vaccine if you think you are at risk. However, in the US mumps vaccine is available only in two combination products: one with measles and rubella and the other with measles, rubella and varicella vaccines.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....