What should I do if my partner has mumps?

If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you are already vaccinated. If you have not been vaccinated and think you were exposed to the mumps, check for symptoms such as headache, muscle aches and swollen glands under your ears. These symptoms will not develop until 16-18 days after exposure. Talk to your doctor about getting the mumps vaccine if you think you are at risk. However, in the US mumps vaccine is available only in two combination products: one with measles and rubella and the other with measles, rubella and varicella vaccines.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...