What problems could mumps cause in my child?

Although rare, mumps can cause other serious types of problems.

• Teenage boys and adult men can get orchitis, which is an inflammation of the testes (the male sex organs).
  • Mumps can affect the pancreas or in girls, the breasts or ovaries (female sex organs).
  • Deafness, usually permanent.
  • It can also cause encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) and meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain and spinal cord).

Continue Learning about Mumps

What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...