What problems could mumps cause in my child?

Although rare, mumps can cause other serious types of problems.

• Teenage boys and adult men can get orchitis, which is an inflammation of the testes (the male sex organs).
  • Mumps can affect the pancreas or in girls, the breasts or ovaries (female sex organs).
  • Deafness, usually permanent.
  • It can also cause encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) and meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain and spinal cord).

Continue Learning about Mumps

How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....