What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?

If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks lots of fluids, especially while the fever is still present. Keep your infected loved one away from others to prevent the spread of the virus. You can administer ibuprofen or acetaminophen to help with the pain of mumps. Ice packs can help to relieve the testicular inflammation that can occur in boys and men who have mumps. Ice packs or heat packs can relieve swollen cheeks. Give your loved one soft foods that are easy to chew, since mumps can make chewing and swallowing painful. Acidic, sour foods can aggravate the discomfort associated with mumps, so make sure your loved one avoids these foods. You should know whether you are immune from mumps, either from having had the shot or from having had the disease in the past; if not, you may be at risk of catching the disease.

Continue Learning about Mumps

If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...