What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?

If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks lots of fluids, especially while the fever is still present. Keep your infected loved one away from others to prevent the spread of the virus. You can administer ibuprofen or acetaminophen to help with the pain of mumps. Ice packs can help to relieve the testicular inflammation that can occur in boys and men who have mumps. Ice packs or heat packs can relieve swollen cheeks. Give your loved one soft foods that are easy to chew, since mumps can make chewing and swallowing painful. Acidic, sour foods can aggravate the discomfort associated with mumps, so make sure your loved one avoids these foods. You should know whether you are immune from mumps, either from having had the shot or from having had the disease in the past; if not, you may be at risk of catching the disease.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...