What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?

If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have developed meningitis or encephalitis, two very serious complications of mumps infection. These complications occur when the mumps virus infects your brain or nervous system. Feelings of disorientation and confusion may be accompanied by a high fever of more than 103 F. Seizures can occur. Encephalitis and meningitis can be life-threatening.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...