What causes mumps in children?

Mumps is a disease caused by a virus.

• It may cause the glands in the neck area, in front of the ears, to swell. These glands are called the parotid glands.
  • It can affect the glands on one or both sides of the neck.
  • Rarely, other glands under the tongue, under the jaw or in the chest may also be involved.
  • Mumps usually lasts about 10 to 12 days, but swelling may last for another week.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...