What causes mumps in children?

Mumps is a disease caused by a virus.

• It may cause the glands in the neck area, in front of the ears, to swell. These glands are called the parotid glands.
  • It can affect the glands on one or both sides of the neck.
  • Rarely, other glands under the tongue, under the jaw or in the chest may also be involved.
  • Mumps usually lasts about 10 to 12 days, but swelling may last for another week.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...