What causes mumps?

The mumps virus causes mumps. The virus is transmitted through the saliva. Someone who has mumps can spread the virus by coughing or sneezing. You can catch mumps by eating or drinking with the same utensils as someone who has mumps. Mumps is a very contagious disease. There is a vaccine that prevents the disease.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...