What causes mumps?

The mumps virus causes mumps. The virus is transmitted through the saliva. Someone who has mumps can spread the virus by coughing or sneezing. You can catch mumps by eating or drinking with the same utensils as someone who has mumps. Mumps is a very contagious disease. There is a vaccine that prevents the disease.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
How common is mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared...
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...