What are the symptoms of mumps?

Mumps causes fever, headache, and painfully swollen salivary glands. It can lead to meningitis and brain swelling. In very rare cases, mumps can cause testicles to swell, which can lead to infertility.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Some people who catch mumps show no symptoms. If symptoms are to appear, they will typically do so two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. The parotid glands, located beneath the ears on both sides of the neck, may become inflamed and sore. It may hurt to chew and swallow. You could experience fatigue, weakness, and fever.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...