What are the symptoms of mumps?

Some people who catch mumps show no symptoms. If symptoms are to appear, they will typically do so two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. The parotid glands, located beneath the ears on both sides of the neck, may become inflamed and sore. It may hurt to chew and swallow. You could experience fatigue, weakness, and fever.

Mumps causes fever, headache, and painfully swollen salivary glands. It can lead to meningitis and brain swelling. In very rare cases, mumps can cause testicles to swell, which can lead to infertility.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Mumps

What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...